An Incredible Coorg Adventure – Unforgettable Experiences at 15 Must-Visit Places!
Places in Coorg are known for the incredible sights and sounds they offer. From the breathtaking views of the mountain ranges to the lush greenery, there’s a lot to explore and experience.
Here is a list of 15 must-visit places that you should explore during your holiday in Coorg:
- Abbey Falls: Located about 8 km away from Madikeri, this is one of Coorg’s most beautiful falls. You can trek up through lush forests or take a car along winding roads to get here. The sight of gushing water at the end is worth it!
- Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary: This sanctuary is home to many rare species such as elephants, tigers, and leopards. The sanctuary is nestled amidst the breathtaking Pushpagiri hills, making it a perfect place to explore the wildlife of Coorg.
- Iruppu Falls: Nestled in the Brahmagiri range at a height of 1,493 meters above sea level, this beautiful waterfall is a sight to behold! It’s also known as the Lakshmanatirtha Falls after Saint Rama’s brother who came here to take a dip in its waters.
- Raja’s Seat: Situated amidst lush greenery on top of a hillock, Raja’s seat offers picturesque views of valleys and mountains. The sights are especially beautiful during sunset with spectacular gradients of colours.
- Nagarhole National Park: Also known as Rajiv Gandhi National Park, this wildlife sanctuary is home to several species of animals such as elephants, leopards, and tigers. The park is also a great spot for birdwatching with over 270 species documented!
- Madikeri Fort: This fort was constructed sometime in the last 1600s by Mudduraja, the erstwhile ruler of Kodagu. The fort is located on top of a hillock and offers panoramic views of the city below.
- Talakaveri: Located in Brahmagiri range near Bhagamandala, Talakaveri is considered to be the origin of the Kaveri river. A temple dedicated to Lord Agastheeswara is located here amidst lush surroundings, making it a popular pilgrimage destination.
- Omkareshwara Temple: Built by Lingarajendra II in 1820, this beautiful temple has both Islamic and Hindu architectures combined together! It is dedicated to Shiva and its inner walls have some beautiful carvings depicting stories from the great epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: This camp allows visitors to get up close with elephants. You can take elephant rides or even learn about their care from experienced mahouts!
- Tadiandamol Peak: At an altitude of 1748 meters, this is the highest peak in Coorg. It offers spectacular views of the entire region and is a great spot for trekkers and nature lovers alike.
- Mallalli Falls: Located near Somwarpet, this beautiful waterfall cascades down from a height of about 200 feet! The surrounding area is lush green with several streams making it an ideal location for some relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Nisargadhama Island: This island on the Kaveri river is home to many species of animals such as crocodiles, deer, rabbits, and peacocks amongst others. It has a small suspension bridge across which you can take picturesque walks around the island!
- Chettalli: This village is surrounded by Western Ghats and is located at a distance of about 35 km from Madikeri. It’s known for several activities such as bird watching, trekking, fishing and camping amongst others making it an ideal destination for adventure lovers!
- Mandalpatti Viewpoint: Located between Madikeri and Abbey Falls, this viewpoint offers breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys against a backdrop of lush green hills. A perfect spot to relax and unwind!
- Nalknad Palace: Built by Dodda Veera Rajendra in 1792, this palace served as his residence until 1834 when he died. The palace has now been converted into a heritage homestay and offers an insight into the historical era of Coorg.
So, those are the 15 must-visit places in Coorg for a memorable holiday experience! So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and head out to explore this beautiful region! Enjoy your trip!